Salt-diva Izelle Hoffman creates a succulent dish using brisket (also known as corned beef – so called because the meat was often treated with large grained rock salt, also called “corns” of salt). The brisket has been cured (or pickled) in a seasoned brine. Create a tender and delicious feast! I might give this ago in the Weber!
HONEY-GARLIC GLAZED BRISKET
(Corned Beef is a cut of meat (brisket) that has been cured (or pickled) in a seasoned brine)
Create a tender and delicious feast with this easy recipe that never disappoints!
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 4 hours
Serves 6-8 people
- 1 Corned Beef +/- 2kg
- Oryx Desert Wine Salt and Oryx Desert Ground Black Pepper for seasoning
- 75g red salad onions sliced (the whole ones with their green stems)
- 4 garlic cloves sliced
- 6 cups of hot water
- 15ml olive oil
- 1ts Oryx Desert Wine Salt
- 1tsp paprika
- 50ml balsamic vinegar (15ml to prepare the meat, and 15ml to be added when
making the sauce)
- 80ml honey
- Pre heat oven to 160’C on Thermo Fan setting
- Trim and discard most of the surface fat from the brisket.
- Rinse well under running water.
- Lay meat, fatty side up in a roasting pan.
- Season with Oryx Desert Wine Salt, and Oryx Desert Gound Black Pepper
- Pour the 6 cups of hot water around the brisket and add the sliced garlic cloves and
red salad onions
- Seal the pan with foil and bake until meat is very tender when pierced, about 4 hrs
- Uncover and drain off most of the liquid into a bowl, leave just enough to cover the
surface of the pan
- In a small mixing bowl, mix 1 cup of the drained liquid, olive oil, 1tsp Oryx Desert Wine
Salt, 1tsp paprika, balsamic vinegar and honey. Spread evenly over the meat.
- Broil until the honey glaze begins to brown, would be about 3-5 minutes.
- Serve with a side of your choice; Izelle served it with oven baked roast sweet potatoes.
- Can be served hot or cold; slice meat across the grain.