Sense of Taste School have taken our theme of coffee and salt and created a glorious twist on Tiramisu adding crunchy toasted coffee beans and Oryx Salted Coffee Caramel. A coffee-licious combination!
- 1 cup – Mascarpone Cheese
- 1 cup – Fresh Cream
- ½ cup – Castor sugar
- 4 – Free Range Egg yolks
- 2 leaves – Gelatin
- 4 tablespoons – Rum or Brandy
- 2x – boxes boudoir biscuits (Finger Biscuits)
- 1 cup – Good quality filter coffee
- 4 tablespoons – rum or brandy
- Good quality Toasted Coffee Beans and Ground Coffee Beans for dusting
Salted Coffee Caramel – see recipe below
- Whip the cream to soft peak stage.
- Mix the mascarpone and whipped cream together.
- Soak the gelatin leaves in cold water and squeeze dry.
- Whisk the yolks, rum and sugar together to the ribbon stage.
- Fold the thick egg mixture into the cheese mixture.
- Gently melt the gelatin and stir into the mixture.
SALTED COFFEE CARAMEL
- 1 cup – White Sugar
- 4 tablespoons – Water
- 1 cup – Cream
- 4 tablespoons – Salted Butter
- 2 tablespoons – Good Quality Ground Coffee Beans
- 2 teaspoons – Vanilla essence
- 2 teaspoons – Oryx Salt
- Place the water, ground coffee and sugar into a clean saucepan and set over a low heat.
- Dissolve the sugar completely before allowing to come up to the boil. Brush the sides of the pots continuously to keep crystals from forming.
- Boil until the sugar turns a deep caramel colour.
- Remove from the heat and immediately whisk in the cream.
- Place back over a gentle heat and stir until smooth.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the butter, salt and vanilla.
PUTTING YOUR TIRAMISU TOGETHER
- Place a layer of boudoir biscuits into the base of 1 large or 10 individual dishes.
- Mix the coffee and rum together and drizzle over the biscuits to soak them.
- Drizzle the salted coffee caramel and sprinkle over some toasted coffee beans
- Spoon a layer of tiramisu filling over the soaked biscuits.
- Repeat these layers until the dish is full.
- Dust the surface of the tiramisu with the ground coffee and toasted coffee beans and a final drizzle of the Salted Coffee Caramel